Gift Aid and tax efficient giving

If you have any queries about donating to CEDE Foundation then, please email us at or ring 0300 302 1639. Providing you are a UK taxpayer, you could boost your charitable donations just by giving in a tax-efficient way. We appreciate that tax has its complexities and can be difficult to understand. If you are unsure about anything, please don't hesitate to call our Supporter Care Line on 0300 302 1639 or email

What is Gift Aid

Gift Aid is one of the simplest and most effective ways of giving to charity. It is a scheme introduced by HM Revenue & Customs, which allows us to reclaim the basic rate tax you pay as a UK taxpayer. It means that for every £1 you donate we can claim an extra 25p of tax, at no extra cost to you. All that is required from you is a one-off declaration, which you can give by simply ticking a box on a form, online or by agreeing over the phone, and we'll do the rest.

You can make your donation by calling 0300 302 1639; or by downloading a form (pdf / word), complete and sending it to: CEDE Foundation, Gift Aid, Unit 96 Cariocca Business Park, Miles Platting, Manchester, M40 8BB. Alternatively, you could complete the online Gift Aid declaration form here.

Please remember to let us know of any changes to your tax status, including changes to your name and address. You can contact us at any time by emailing or by calling 0300 302 1639

I pay tax at a higher rate, can the charity claim back the full amount

We can only claim back tax at the basic rate (currently 20%* of the gross value of your donation). However, you can request a rebate for the difference on any donations made within the current tax year, when you submit your tax returns and opt to donate this to a charity of your choice.

Can I call you if I have any other questions

If you have any further questions about Gift Aid – or if your circumstances change and you need to cancel the agreement – please call our dedicated Supporter Care Team on 0300 302 1639.

What if I pay a higher rate of tax

If you are a higher rate taxpayer we are still only able to claim the basic rate of tax on your donation. However, you are able to reclaim the difference between the amount we reclaim and the 40% you pay yourself through your annual tax return.

Do I qualify for Gift Aid

Gift Aid can apply to donations of any amount made by an individual, large or small - it all adds up! You can Gift Aid your cash, cheque, postal order, direct debit, standing order and bankcard donations.

To qualify for Gift Aid, you need to be a UK taxpayer and to have paid income tax or capital gains tax that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities and Community Amateur Sports clubs you give to will claim on your gift aid donations in the year that they are received. Please note that other taxes such as Council Tax and VAT do not count for Gift Aid purposes.

Tax is claimed at the basic rate of 20% (which is 25% on the net value of your donation). This means that under Gift Aid for every £1 you give, Cede Foundation can reclaim at least an additional 25p from HM Revenue & Customs.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for donating by Gift Aid, or simply want more information, contact the HM Revenue & Customs directly by calling their Gift Aid helpline on 0151 472 6038 or visiting

Do I need to make a separate Gift Aid declaration for each tax year

No, you only need to make a declaration once. We will keep this declaration as your enduring permission to claim gift aid tax relief on all donations you have made in the previous four years, the current year and any donations you might make to us in the future.

If you have not paid enough tax to cover in the past, or your tax status changes in the future, then please do let us know, otherwise we will keep on claiming and this could result in us receiving tax relief we are not entitled to, which could also have implications for you. You can contact us at any time by emailing or by calling 0300 302 1639.

I am a pensioner, do my donations qualify

Income from state pensions alone is unlikely to qualify as you would need to earn above the personal allowance threshold to pay income tax. If this is your only source of income, we would always advise that you check with your tax office before completing a declaration.

What if I stop paying tax

Can I withdraw the declaration? You can cancel the declaration at any time by emailing your full name and address, including your postcode, to or by telephoning us on 0300 302 1639. Find out more about Gift Aid on the Charity Facts website.

Can anyone gift aid their donations

Anyone can give us permission to claim back the tax paid on their gifts, as long as they are a UK Tax payer and have paid or expect to pay enough tax to cover all the tax that the charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs they give to will claim on their gift aid donations made in the tax year in which they were received. This tax can be from income tax taken from your pay or from income / capital gains tax paid on a private pension or on savings interest, but it does not include other taxes such as council tax and VAT.

Is there any extra paperwork for me to complete

No. We reclaim the tax directly from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Simply tick the box on the form to confirm you are a UK taxpayer. That’s all you need to do – although you may wish to keep a record of donations you have made in case you are eligible for further tax relief yourself or to ensure that you are paying enough tax to cover the donations you make to charities under Gift Aid.

Does my declaration cover all donations I have ever made to you

We only have four years in which to claim the tax relief on your donations, so if donations you have made go back further than 4 years, we will only apply the tax relief to donations within the allowed period as set out by HMRC.

Do I need to declare anything in my tax return in relation to gifts I have already given

No. You only need declare gifts made in the current tax year, as although the charity can claim back the tax on donations received up to four years ago, you can normally only benefit from tax relief on donations made in the current period. Please speak to your tax office if in any doubt as to your entitlement.



Receive exclusive information and all the latest from CEDE Foundation


Whether or not your company has worked with a charity before, we’ll make it easy for you to get involved. Get in touch if you are interested in becoming a corporate partner, or would like to find out more, contact a member of our team on 0300 302 1639

More Information


Donate through Paypal

More Donation Options



Follow us on Twitter

Find us on Facebook

Membership Organisations

Developing Sustainable Communities